Oregon Idaho Montana Wyoming Colorado Kansas Missouri Illinois Kentucky Virginia

Grandpa Lost His Mind
A Journal - Crossing America by Bicycle

May 29, 2007      Miles 68      Total miles 1738


I got up at 6:30 this morning so I could get in a good days ride without pushing myself. It was 40 degrees outside and was sprinkling so I rolled over and snoozed until about 8:00. I was ready to leave by 8:30 and noticed the rear tire on Ol' Blue was flat. It kept going down yesterday and I kept pumping it up. Finally, I used the last of the "Fix-a-flat" that Hattie in Idaho insisted I take. That held the rest of yesterday but was flat this morning. I put a new tube in and aired it up and it had a hole in it. I took it off and it had four holes in it! A brand new tube. I patched up the old one and put it back on the bike.
I ate a big breakfast at the Donut Ranch Bakery. This is Cody. He is the owner and manager of the bakery. Besides the huge breakfast, I ordered a couple of donuts. They were so good. Before I left, Cody gave me a big bag of his specially made granola. It was my supper for tonight.
These two black angus were just huge and enjoying chewing their cuds. The skinny cow had just crossed over a cattle guard.

By the time I fumbled around and got my camera ready this bird had gotten too far away to get a good picture. I don't know what kind it is.
I had a couple of great downhill runs today but my overall elevation gain was 1,200'. It was a pretty rough day for me today.

About every ten miles or more you will see one of these huge ranches.
Little houses on the prairie.

I was feeling pretty good at this point but within an hour the weather took a nasty turn. A sudden afternoon storm came across the mountains and drenched me in a matter of minutes. It stopped as fast as it started. I rode for another 45 minutes and knew it was going to happen again. This time I found shelter under a bridge.
I was about 25 miles from my destination for the night when I felt the air get very cold. I knew it was going to hail or sleet. It sleeted for ten or fifteen minutes and the storm passed on by. I saw a bridge and decided to seek shelter rather than get soaked again. I tried to get my trailer under the bridge.

I pushed myself again today to try to make it to Walden for the night and I ended up getting here right at dark. It was 38 degrees and I was very tired from the events of the day. My right calf had been cramping up on me all day. I haven't had that happen in a long time. I may take a day of rest tomorrow. It is supposed to be another day of foul weather.